Module 1: Mastering the Product Manager role
This module covers the fundamentals of the PM role.
- What is a Product ? Why Product Management ?
- Various definitions of the role;
- Difference between Project vs Product vs Business Analyst
- Is the PM really the CEO of the product
- Responsibilities of a PM (Market research, defining requirements, developing GTM strategy that includes pricing/support, Competitive analysis)
- Inbound vs Outbound PM and their skillsets
- Is Technology background essential to the PM role ?
- Skills needed to be a PM
- Learnings as a PM
- How is the PM success determined ?
- B2B vs B2C PM role differences
- A day in the life of a PM
- Exercise on this chapter
Module 2: Beginnings of a Product
This module covers how Products are conceived.
- Market Assessment
- How are Product ideas discovered ?
- Market Sizing
- Competitive Analysis
- Resources for market assessment
- Defining Product Vision
- Frameworks for Product strategy
- Building a business case
- Defining Usecase(s)
- Determining build/buy/partner strategy
- Other types of partnerships
- Building P&L statement
- One metric that Finance looks at before a Product is committed to
- Execute Commit process of a Product
- Building Product Roadmaps (external vs internal)
- Feature Prioritization
- Exercises on this chapter
Module 3: Building the Product
This module covers how Products are built.
- Engineering Methodologies (ex. Agile)
- Product Architecture – What is it and why is it needed ?
- Product Components and various stakeholders
- Product Release Cadence
- Product Development Tools for a PM
- Customer Journeys
- Lean UX and Design Thinking
- CI/CD tools (for knowledge only)
- Product Metrics
- B2B vs B2C
- Developing your own metrics
- Tools for tracking Product Metrics
- Exercise on this chapter
Module 4: Taking Product to the Market
This module covers the GTM related items of the Product strategy.
- Building GTM strategy
- Large company vs small company
- Things to make sure at the launch
- Organization gates for the GTM process
- Types of pricing
- Pricing models
- Tiered pricing
- Interaction with Marketing
- Interaction with Sales/Business Development
- Interaction with Services/Support
- Interaction with Legal
- Interaction with Finance
Bonus Module : Resume, Interviews and Next Level
This module covers topics around transitioning and then growing as a Product Manager
- Top 3 ways to transition to Product Mgmt; How to initiate these ways
- Product Manager Interview types
- Product Manager interview prep
- Sample question bank
- How to answer various type of interview questions
- Once you transition, how do you grow to a Director level position ?
- Negotiation strategies that have worked for my students
- Mockup interview practice